• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MySQL error with standard characters
I am trying to add a reference under the 'references' section of the following AOP page: https://aopwiki.org/aops/272 - When in edit mode, if I add the reference as intended:

Rage, E. et al., (2020), "PUMA – pooled uranium miners analysis: cohort profile.", Occup Environ Med. 77:194-200. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2019-105981

I receive the MySQL error. I have tried to diagnose what possible characters in the above cause MySQL trouble (the FAQ mentioned greek letters which is not applicable here). Right now, the change will save if I add the reference as follows:

Rage, E. et al., (2020), "PUMA – pooled uranium miners analysis: cohort profile.", Occup En

But the moment I add the 'v' i.e. '....Occup Env' I begin to receive the error again. I have encountered this issue several times before and resolving it each time is an exercise in trial and error. It is unfortunate and is costing me quite a bit of time each time I have to try and edit the AOP.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Best,
Rob.

----------------------------

EDIT 1: I have found the cause of the problem, or at least a potential fix. By removing quotation marks from the publication titles the error disappears. Strange, as many of the references had quotation marks and the AOP saved fine with them. I'm guessing a mixture of quotation ("), double left quotation (“) and double right quotation (”) potentially cause MySQL on the back-end issues by defining potential strings variables erroneously. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to mention this on the FAQ section. The OECD style guidelines specifically ask for quotation marks around titles, see page 59 here: https://www.oecd.org/about/publishing/OE...dition.pdf

EDIT 2: When trying to change the size of the font in the 'references' section for this AOP, I received the MySQL error.
Hi Rob,

Sorry for the inconvenience. My best guess is that you has overflowed the size limit for that section. We ran into this previously and expanded the size, but I see you have a large number of references, so we've probably hit it again. I'll add this to our backlog to expand the size again. In the meantime, if it happens again, you'll likely need to look for characters that you can remove as you did this time to get under the character limit.

Steve Edwards
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your prompt reply (apologies for the slight delay in mine). I managed to complete my original task doing as you suggested - removing extraneous characters. Good to know that the character size for text fields such as these can/will be expanded in the future.

Thanks again,
Rob.