To the extent possible under law, AOP-Wiki has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to KER:253
Reduction, Plasma 17beta-estradiol concentrations leads to Reduction, Vitellogenin accumulation into oocytes and oocyte growth/development
Key Event Relationship Overview
AOPs Referencing Relationship
Life Stage Applicability
Key Event Relationship Description
Evidence Collection Strategy
Evidence Supporting this KER
Vitellogenin synthesized in the liver and transported to the ovary via the circulation is the primary source of egg yolk proteins in fish (Tyler and Sumpter 1996; Arukwe and Goksøyr 2003). In many teleosts vitellogenesis can account for up to 95% of total egg size (Tyler and Sumpter 1996).
Uncertainties and Inconsistencies
Known modulating factors
Known Feedforward/Feedback loops influencing this KER
Domain of Applicability
- Tyler C, Sumpter J. 1996. Oocyte growth and development in teleosts. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6: 287-318.
- Arukwe A, Goksøyr A. 2003. Eggshell and egg yolk proteins in fish: hepatic proteins for the next generation: oogenetic, population, and evolutionary implications of endocrine disruption. Comparative Hepatology 2(4): 1-21.
- Ankley GT, Jensen KM, Makynen EA, Kahl MD, Korte JJ, Hornung MW, et al. 2003. Effects of the androgenic growth promoter 17--trenbolone on fecundity and reproductive endocrinology of the fathead minnow. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 22(6): 1350-1360.
- Ankley GT, Kahl MD, Jensen KM, Hornung MW, Korte JJ, Makynen EA, et al. 2002. Evaluation of the aromatase inhibitor fadrozole in a short-term reproduction assay with the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Toxicological Sciences 67: 121-130.
- Lalone CA, Villeneuve DL, Cavallin JE, Kahl MD, Durhan EJ, Makynen EA, et al. 2013. Cross species sensitivity to a novel androgen receptor agonist of environmental concern, spironolactone. Environmental toxicology and chemistry / SETAC (in press).
- Ankley GT, Jensen KM, Durhan EJ, Makynen EA, Butterworth BC, Kahl MD, et al. 2005. Effects of two fungicides with multiple modes of action on reproductive endocrine function in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Toxicol Sci 86(2): 300-308.
- Sun L, Zha J, Spear PA, Wang Z. 2007. Toxicity of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole to Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) eggs, larvae and breeding adults. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 145(4): 533-541.
- Skolness SY, Blanksma CA, Cavallin JE, Churchill JJ, Durhan EJ, Jensen KM, et al. 2013. Propiconazole Inhibits Steroidogenesis and Reproduction in the Fathead Minnow (Pimephales promelas). Toxicological sciences : an official journal of the Society of Toxicology 132(2): 284-297.
- Li Z, Villeneuve DL, Jensen KM, Ankley GT, Watanabe KH. 2011b. A computational model for asynchronous oocyte growth dynamics in a batch-spawning fish. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 68: 1528-1538.